How to Install an Aftermarket Stereo
1990-1994 Lexus LS400
Update: The place I originally bought my install kit and wiring harness is now out of business. I found a new install kit and the same wiring harness on Amazon, links below.
- Head unit
- Scosche TA02B wiring harness
- Metra LS400 install kit
- Wire connectors / or solder
- Electrical tape
1) Using a small flat head screwdriver wedge the screwdriver in the location specified in the pic. Then carefully pry the wood trim up. It should pop right out.
2) Do the same on the passenger side.
3) Lift the trim up slightly, slide it back, remove and set it aside.
4) Turn the key to the ACC position and put the shifter in "L." Using two hands pull straight back on the ashtray and it will pop out of the two clips. Unclip all the wiring connectors and set it aside.
5) Put the vents in the down position. Using both hands pull out the vents. Unclip the emergency flasher wiring connector and set the vents aside.
What it looks like with the vents and ashtray removed. The deck is already installed in this pic because I had to retake the pics.
6) Unscrew these bottom screws.
7) And unscrew these top screws.
8) Disconnect all connectors behind the climate control unit and stereo. Take the assembly over to your work bench.
9 Remove the 8 screws that hold the stereo on the brackets.
10) Attach the install kit to the factory assembly using the kit's instructions.
To make the kit fit better I used a bolt as a spacer.
Install Kit I used. It's all metal and fit perfectly.
Here's the wiring harness I used, you can get it here. This harness is a perfect fit, but you do lose the subwoofer.
11) Connect the Scosche wiring harness to the wiring harness that came with your deck. Solder the wires for the best possible connections.
12) Put the assembly back into the dash and screw in the 4 screws.
13) Run wires through the kit opening and make all connections.
14) Test to see if everything is working! If everything checks out OK slide the deck all the way into the DIN sleeve and put everything back together.
If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Thank you.