How to Replace the Gasket in the Fuel Tank Cap
1990-1994 Lexus LS400
Anyone can do this one in less than 5 minutes. This gasket should be replaced every 60K or 6 years, whichever comes first. If you have a lot of pressure when you remove your gas cap you probably need to replace the gasket. It's a special gasket that has a groove in it, probably to allow for some air to escape. After replacing this gasket I have had much less of a pressure build up in the gas tank. At ~$10 this is an easy and inexpensive way to reduce or eliminate the problem.Tools Needed:
- Thin flat-head screwdriver
- Gasket, Fuel tank cap, 77316-16010
1) Open fuel door and remove gas cap.
2) Use your fingers or a thin flat-head screwdriver to remove the old gasket. Be careful not to scratch the plastic.
Old vs. new. Here you can sort of see how the old gasket has compressed over the years.
3) Install the new gasket and put the cap back on. Write down in your records the date and mileage of your replacement. That's it.
If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Thank you.