How to Replace the Front Outer Door Handle
1990-1994 Lexus LS400
The door handles can crack on first gens. The most likely case it that it cracks from pulling too hard during the winter when ice has frozen the door shut. The good news is that the replacement handles come in the various factory colors so you don't need to paint anything. A new handle will run you $125-$150 depending on where you buy it, this is obviously an OEM only part.
>>> LexLS is supported by site vistors. When you buy through Amazon links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you.<<<
- Handle as, door out, FR LH, 69220-50010-22 (This is the # for black. Contact your parts retailer for the specific part number for your color. Make sure to specify the outer handle!)
2) Here you can see the backside of the handle. First disconnect the highlighted connector. Then remove the two circled screws and holding plate.
3) Using a 10mm wrench, remove the highlighted lock bolt. Rotate the lock cylinder clockwise and slide it back and out.
Here I just want to show you the locations of the three 10mm bolts that attach to the handle. The lower left is the lock bolt that you just removed. The upper left is the hardest because you can't see it and need to use an angled socket joint to remove it. The upper left and lower right bolts are what hold the handle to the door itself.
4) Flip the yellow plastic piece up as shown in this pic. Then pull the highlighted metal rod to the right, out of the handle assembly.
5) This is the hardest part; the hidden upper left 10mm bolt. You can experiment to see what works best for you. However, I was able to remove it by using a small socket wrench with an angled socket joint and 10mm socket. I dropped all that in from the top like this pic. Then, with my other hand through the big hole in the door, I fit the socket on the bolt by feel. Once on I held the joint and carefully turned the socket a few notches at a time. Be careful not to slam into the glass and break it.
6) Remove the lower right 10mm bolt. This one is easy.
Here's what it looks like without a door handle!
7) Install is reverse of removal. Just be careful not to over tighten the two bolts that hold the handle on because you might get the metal gasket out of alignment.
If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Thank you.