How to Install a Napolex Aftermarket Shifter
1990-1994 Lexus LS400
There are a few aftermarket shifters available for the LS. Most of these are pricey since they have to be imported from Japan. However, this one CAN be purchased directly from the company here. It's quite reasonable and comes in a variety of finishes.
- Wire cutter
- Napolex shifter Model #'s LV-451 - LV-455
2) Pull the shift indicator trim out.
3) Take the tab out from the front of the shifter and remove the two screws out.
4) Pull the shifter off and cut the two O/D wires attatched to it.
5) Screw out this OEM white plastic piece on the top of the shaft.
6) Replace it with the napolex round aluminum adaptor.
7) This is the Axis adaptor, it's already inside the levoc shiftknob. Pull it out with a needle nose plier; you do not need it for the UCF10.
8) After you pull the Axis adaptor out, the shift knob should slide right down the shaft. Move the shift knob through each gear and make the adjustment. Once you get the right adjustment you can pull the shift knob out and measure the boot to the shift base and cut the boot.
9) Slide down the two O/D wires through the boot and butt connect them to the OEM O/D wires. It doesn't matter which one you connect to since they are both the same wires. Then you cut the boot and secure all the screws.
10) There should be two screws on the front of the shift knob that screw into the OEM Shaft, then use three medium hex screws to secure the shift knob around the shaft.
11) Put everything back together and there you have it.
Lexls.com Notes: Thanks for the tutorial Stu, looks good!
If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Thank you.