How to Install Rear Brake Pads
1990-1994 Lexus LS400
This tutorial is for replacing rear brake pads only. If you're replacing rotors as well follow the rear rotor tutorial. It's a good idea to replace your rotors and pads at the same time.
>>> LexLS is supported by site vistors. When you buy through Amazon links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you.<<<
1) Loosen the lug nuts and then jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands. Remove wheels.
2) Remove this top 14mm bolt. No need to take off the others.
3) Swing the piston assembly down.
4) Remove the two pins and pull out the old pads.
Old vs. new. What a difference! They were starting to squeak at this point.
5) Take off the old metal shim pieces and install them on the new pads. You may want to apply some brake quiet on the shims before installing them.
6) Install the new pads & replace the two pins.
7) Open up the hood and remove the cap on the brake fluid reservoir. Put a shop towel or rag around the brake fluid reservoir just in case. BE CAREFUL: BRAKE FLUID DESTROYS PAINT.
8) Push in the brake piston all the way. I used a short 1" dowel against the piston and the Lexus tire iron for leverage to push the piston in. You can also use a brake piston compression tool. With the piston retracted swing the piston assembly up into place. Torque the 14mm bolt to 25 ft-lb (34 Nm, 350 kg-cm).
9) Replace pads on the other side.
10) Check the brake fluid reservoir to make sure it's at the appropriate level and add/remove fluid if needed.
If you found this information useful please support the site by clicking the button below and making a donation. Thank you.